Sunday, July 28, 2013

Reflection: Student Technology Showcase

Watching the student technology showcase videos was really inspiring. I cannot believe that so many schools have implemented technology, and done so in such a meaningful way. It's really exciting to see school districts investing in and teachers embracing these tools. After student teaching in a 4th grade class that had a 1:1 laptop ratio, and was heavily centered around digital project based learning, I knew I wanted to use technology in my future classroom. However, I was recently hired (yayyy!!) as a first grade teacher, and was unsure how I could implement technology with the youngsters. These videos showed me that the options are endless.

One of my favorite videos was the one in which students learned about antonyms and synonyms through creating videos and acting out vocabulary words. This lesson could have been so boring and forgetful, and instead seemed so fun. The students really were able to build a true understanding of word meanings by acting them out and then sharing it with their peers. How much fun is that! I also really liked the video in which first graders used the Toontastic app. This is one of my favorite apps I have seen. I definitely want to use it with my first graders! I was also shocked and excited to see iPads being used with kindergarteners. Getting them used to technology at a young age is really important. One of the coolest videos was the one about the high school students who made their own online radio show. How incredible to be filming and using final cut pro in your high school!

I really loved watching these videos. I'm already getting so many new ideas on how to use technology in my new classroom. Its ability to engage students is unlike anything else. Using technology also opens up a world of learning opportunities, and promotes conceptual understanding. Feeling excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment